Service Learning Program
In keeping with our mission and values, BGA’s Service Learning Program helps students realize the value of meaningful, respectful service to others through classroom discussions, activities, and work with local organizations.
Combining curricular instruction with community needs, our students put character in action and contribute more than 17,000 community service hours annually in partnership with more than 50 nonprofit organizations.
The outcome? Empathetic, compassionate students who:
- Develop habits of service that will stay with them throughout their lives, committing themselves to others as dictated by conscience and expectations of a civil society and good citizenship.
- Build long-term relationships with community organizations in Franklin, Middle Tennessee, and beyond.
- Accept others regardless of physical or emotional limitations, race, heritage, or economic status.
Institution of Emphasis
Each year, the Upper School Student Government Association reviews local nonprofit applicants, selecting one to serve as our schoolwide Institution of Emphasis.
Friends of Franklin ParksFor the 2023-2024 school year, BGA will be partnering with the Friends of Franklin Parks in an effort to raise funds to help support the building of Ellie G's Playground. This playground will be Franklin’s first inclusive park and will be named in memory of Elliot Grace Castro, known as Ellie G, who passed away at the age of 4 from a very rare terminal form of dwarfism called Rhizometic Chondrodysplasia Punctata (RCDP) in September 2019. During her short life, she proved to be an example of courage, strength, and joy to all who had the privilege to know her or know of her. This year, the students at BGA will be running as many events and fundraisers as possible for the creation of this wonderful project in the heart of our community.
Where We Serve
BGA Wildcats serve at 50+ nonprofits annually. Below is a sampling of organizations where BGA students have recently volunteered:
- African American Heritage Society
- American Red Cross
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- Cheekwood Botanical Gardens
- Franklin First United Methodist
- Friends of Franklin Parks
- Hard Bargain Association
- Nashville Rescue Mission
- Saddle Up!
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
- St. Luke’s Community Center
- The Store
- Tennessee Baptist Children’s Home
- Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital
- Waves Inc.
- Williamson Co. Animal Shelter
- Wounded Warrior
If you're a community organization interested in partnering with BGA, please complete this form.